Step Up Your Game For 2016!!!
As we start to close out 2015, it is an exciting time to look to the new year to start a new you.
At least, that is what majority of people do, as they try and hit the “reset” button on their journey towards fitness.
People normally spend these remaining weeks to go crazy and eat as much as possible, cause when that new year comes around, they know it is game time.
They are dreading that “reset” button, and just engorging in every last cookie they can…. I know I do ;-P
The only thing that is wrong with this concept, there is no “reset” button. We don’t work like that, and just because we fell away from our goals in march, doesn’t mean we should wait till the new year or new Monday for that matter. We should chalk that day up as a loss, learn from it and move on.
We don’t work like that, and just because we fell away from our goals in march, doesn’t mean we should wait till the new year, or new Monday for that matter. We should chalk that day up as a loss, learn from it and move on.
This mindset can be a hard one to change, especially for us stubborn headed people (raises hand slowly). We know what it takes to make those lasting changes, and make a real impact in your life, and today we are gonna give you some steps to change YOU for the better in 2016. That is exactly what you want isn’t it? Of course it is.
This isn’t quick fixes, so let’s kick that in the uprights and call it out. Any “coach” who sells you that or has the magic potion, is just trying to make a quick buck and when you see it doesn’t work, they are already long gone. Not here, we want you to succeed, and invest in you! So no more jumping on the get quick results schemes, and let’s make a real change in your life.
This real change isn’t going to be a walk in the park though, you will have to find your “why”, have a long-term vision, and be consistent in yielding those results.
No pressing that reset button 1000’s times and saying; “it isn’t working”. Keep with it, evolve with your training and regiment, and it WILL happen.
You will look back at this journey, a year, 3 years, heck even 5 years down the road, and be glad you took this road, instead of the ‘ripped in 60days’ routine. NO MORE QUICK FIXES. OK!?!?!
So here we go with the ways to really step your game up and make 2016 your best year yet!
1. Set 4 – 90 Day Benchmarks: Look at your end goal, got it? Now take it in 90-day chunks and break it down to 4 different cycles, focusing on 1-2 things per cycle, but don’t drop the cycle before, add to it. This 90 day time period, by research, and then trial and error on our own part, is the PERFECT time frame to really set things in stone for yourself. This will also help you stay the course and not think “I have a year to reach this goal”…. No you have 4 separate deadlines to help you keep on track and on pace. This is your year remember. Make it happen!
2. Have 3 HIGH Return on Investments practices to support each of these 90days. – These are simple habits that have huge benefits and keep momentum flowing. Here is also where most “trainers” or “quick fix” schemes get it wrong. Someone fresh off the couch can’t take the kitchen sink being thrown at them, and expect a high success rate. Maybe for the trainers pocket book, but not for the client. Remember that our habits are deeply rooted into us, and takes time to break and the fear of venturing out of our comfort zone also scares the tar out of us. So keep it simple the first month, like:
A. No more soda, drink a gallon of water (add lemon for flavor)
B. Every meal, include a chunk of protein more like 3oz of chicken.
C. Keep training consistent at 45mins, 3x a week, even if it was a crap session.
Do it for 90 days, add to it the next phase.
3. New activity every 90 days – seeing the pattern yet? Add one thing extra that keeps you moving and is fun. This will make the next phase a lot easier and you’ll look forward to those days you do this fun time. It can be something like, hiking, walking your dog, indoor rock climbing, those new jump houses, racquetball, maybe you wanna take up trail running, who knows! Don’t let your comfort zone be a limiting factor. Explore, have fun with life!
4. Commit to a Nutrition Coach or have a solid Nutrition Plan – NO MORE DIETS! 2016 is your year for a new you! No more diets, let’s change our eating habits to sound eating principles and let the kitchen do the bulk work for our goals. Our friends at Dynamic Nutrition are really good at what they do, and they take the guess work out of this portion. They are worth a shot. Here’s a little list to follow if you do it on your own:
A. Make sure your eating habits support your 90-day goal – DUH
B. Make it work for your lifestyle! Don’t go crazy here. Make sure it is sustainable, or you’ll stress out and do more harm than good – Hence Dynamic Nutrition Coaching
C. Be consistent with your commitment in your eating habits. Don’t do fads, or fasting diets… eat, but eat with a purpose that supports your plan.
5. What you think about, regarding your health and fitness, need to be changed – This is where we come into play or a book called the Positive Dog. You gotta change your mindset when it comes to how you look at things. What you believe ultimately shapes who you are. So if we change that mindset, SLOWLY, you’ll change yourself for the better. How do you do that? Take 1 thing you can let go of, that is within your comfort zone, and add a new positive thought or outlook on? Do this each 90-day phase, and add 1 each time. Phase 1 – 1, phase 2 – 2, phase 3 – 3, phase 4 – 4 in the end you will have changed 10 things. Pretty awesome right?
6. Know that it is going to get uncomfortable for a bit, so get comfortable with it – Remember this isn’t a quick scheme, so as your body changes, your mind, hormones, stress, energy, will all play tricks on you as it starts to correct its course and change for the better. Stay with it! This is your bodies way of staying in your comfort zone and you are stronger than it, so kick it in the face and take control. Don’t quit, we are here to help you! Once you are passed those little humps though, results come flying in.
7. Hire a coach – No not kidding. You need a support system. You need accountability. Your coach, a good one, will kick the living tar out of you when you step out of line. They are your rock and mentors that will help guide you along the path. They should have thought-provoking advice and be able to give you the right dose response to get you back into gear. Even coaches need coaches. If your coach doesn’t have a coach, don’t hire him or her.
Last but certainly not least. Take action in 2016, heck tomorrow! Even if it is a tiny step. Babies don’t sprint from the get go right? Nope. So why are we trying to do that with our health? Know those baby steps are leading in the right direction and you are taking control of your health and life. We are here for you! Hope to see you with us in 2016.